At the event of Frankfurt Motor Show, Project Kahn introduced the new Vesuvius kit for Porsche Cayenne.
Although, the kit is really remarkable, it is not as prominent because of the white exterior of the vehicle. Despite the fact that it is not noticeable still it gives Cayenne more elegant and lofty looks.
Some of the other designing cues included are horizontal and vertical rows of LED lights at front, buffed up fenders and Kahn’s RS wheels. Furthermore, the top end bespoke interior treatment is another major part of this kit.
Kahn this time treated the diesel version of Cayenne and also claims to introduce some massive engine upgradation. Details are still coming. So, stay tuned, we will come back to you.
The Underground Racing is an American tuning firm crazy about making 1000 hp versions of latest supercars. They have introduced a package for the Audi R8 V10 – a UR’s twin turbo system which can generate 1000+ hp.
Perhaps, tuning Audi R8 was not hard for them because the engine they need to work on was 5.2-L V10, the similar V10 version which they have already tuned on several occasions for Lamborghini Gallardo. This tuned engine has the capability to reach up to 1100 PS along with massive torque.
The video given below will give you a good account of the Underground Racing tuned Audi R8 V10 with twin turbo.
The new Chevrolet has already won the Top Safety Pick Award but it’s still starving for more. The new Chevrolet now wants to own the title of real ‘playa’ in the subcompact range.
It is pre-requisite for the vehicles in this particular segment to have a good fuel economy along with an estimated EPA of 40 mpg on highway and 29 mpg in city. The new Sonic is well ahead in complying with these measures. To remind you again, it is all about 1.4-L model mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox.
With this engine, the car sprints from 0-60 mph in just 8.2 seconds. Certainly, good figures for this engine.
The 1.4-L Ecotec turbocharged engine used in Sonic is SAE certified and produces 138 horsepower (103 kW) and torque of about 148 lb-ft (200 Nm) at 2500-4900 rpm. There is also a bigger engine available that is equally economical, 1.8-L. With 1.8-L engine, Sonic achieves a fuel economy of 26 mpg in city and 35 mpg on highway. The automatic version receives 25 mpg in city and 35 mpg highway.
Some of the major features of 1.4-L engine are:
- Chain-driven cams
- Dual overhead camshafts with continuously variable valve timing
- Electronically controlled thermostat
- Low-mass hollow-frame cast iron block
- Piston-cooling oil jets and integrated oil cooler
- Roller-finger camshaft followers
- Variable-flow oil pump
As you know that there is a civil crises going on in Bahrain that has effected 2011 Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix. We are hearing news about its date coming and going again and again.
Previously, FIA announced 30th October is the date for the event but faced objections from F1 officials as well as drivers about the the decision. It was expected that Bahrain officials will use GP to cover the crises and showing that everything is normal in the country. But the media is quite effective these days and we are pretty well informed about what is going on in the oil rich Gulf state.
Now Bahrain officials have voluntarily withdrawn from the event for now and saved themselves some respect.
Bahrain International Circuit chairman Zayed R Alzayani:
Whilst Bahrain would have been delighted to see the Grand Prix progress on October 30th in-line with the World Motor Sport Council’s decision, it has been made clear that this fixture cannot progress and we fully respect that decision. Bahrain has always sought to play a positive role in the continued development of Formula One, from pioneering F1 racing in the Middle East, to helping other countries in facilitating their own races in new territories, as well as providing our own unique experience and universal welcome to Grand Prix supporters.
Bahrain has absolutely no desire to see a race which would further extends the calendar season detract from the enjoyment of F1 for either drivers, teams or supporters. We want our role in Formula One to continue to be as positive and constructive as it has always been, therefore, in the best interest of the sport, we will not pursue the rescheduling of a race this season.
We look forward to welcoming teams, their drivers and supporters back to Bahrain next year and would like to extend our deepest gratitude to our supporters, including staff, volunteers, sponsors, private businesses and the general public, for whom I know this year’s decision will be a disappointment. We would also especially like to thank the FIA, FOM, The Bahrain Motor Federation (BMF) and the teams for all support and understanding they have extended to us at this time.
Two Audi R18 TDIs will be on front when the big race starts at Le Mans. This is Audi’s first pole position since 2006, when they introduced the diesel powered car and are still the king of hill since then.
Benoît Tréluyer with a time of 3m 25.738s got the top grid position for Audi. Romain Dumas, his team mate was just 0.061 seconds slower. This was the first pole position at Le Mans for Tréluyer, who together with Marcel Fässler and André Lotterer, will start from the grid in the number “2″ Audi R18 TDI.
Tréluyer achieved the pole 30 minutes before midnight. According to Audi, R18′s new LED lights have a lot to do with this high performance and they are giving it an edge over the competition. With the pole position, Audi is pretty confident of getting it tenth Le Mans victory.
FIA President Jean Todt will start 24 Hours of Mans’ 79th edition on Saturday at 3 PM.
- Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer (Audi R18 TDI) 3m 25.738s
- Bernhard/Dumas/Rockenfeller (Audi R18 TDI) 3m 25.799s
- Lamy/Bourdais/Pagenaud (Peugeot) 3m 26.010s
- Montagny/Sarrazin/Minassian (Peugeot) 3m 26.156s
- Capello/Kristensen/McNish (Audi R18 TDI) 3m 26.272s
- Gene/Wurz/Davidson (Peugeot) 3m 26.272s
- Lapiere/Duval/Panis (Peugeot) 3m 30.084s
- Jani/Prost/Bleekemolen (Lola-Toyota) 3m 32.883s
- Collard/Tinseau/Jousse (Pescarolo-Judd) 3m 33.066s
- Belicchi/Boullion/Smith (Lola-Toyota) 3m 34.573s
Yes, that’s a real racing car which is going to participate in this years Le Mans 24 Hours designed by DeltaWing. The original concept of this car came from an Indy car but later on DeltaWing in collaboration with ‘Project 56 Partners’ converted it into a super, high-tech racing monster.
The Project 56 group includes Dan Gurney’s All American Racers, Dr. Don Panoz and Highcroft Racing.Former engineer of Lola, Ben Bowlby is the designer of this machine. The only problem with this car is that it doesn’t fit in any class at Le Mans. It will have to race in a category of its own.
“The Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) has shown great vision in creating an opportunity for an innovative and experimental vehicle such as the DeltaWing to participate ‘outside the classifications’ in this famous event. The race has a long and glorious history, featuring the most advanced and technologically relevant racing cars. We are thrilled to have been invited to join the list of innovators and to honor the Spirit of Le Mans,” said Ben Bowlby.
Key Specifications (estimated)
- Weight with driver: 1,030 lbs.
- Horsepower: 300 BHP
- Wheel base: 125 inches
- Front track: 24 inches
- Rear track: 70 inches
- Aerodynamic drag: Cd 0.24
Key Technical features
- Engine and transmission are “non-stressed members” of the chassis structural design which allows teams to install a wide variety of lightweight powertrains
- The prototype will feature a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine that will produce approximately 300 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and weigh only 160lbs fully dressed
- Engine capacity, RPM and configuration freedoms are anticipated given only that the rate of fuel delivery to the engine will be controlled by a specially developed fuel flow rate control unit
- Vehicle weight distribution is necessarily more rearward than traditionally seen with 72.5% of the mass on the larger rear tires
- 80% of the aerodynamic downforce acts on the rear of the car
- Inline traction under acceleration through the rear tires is greatly enhanced by rearward weight and aerodynamic distributions
- Unique amongst today’s racing cars 60% of braking force is generated behind the center of gravity giving a dynamically stable response
- Locking propensity of the inside front wheel on corner entry is greatly reduced
- Transmission features 6 speed oval and 5 speed plus reverse road track configurations with sequential paddle shift actuation
- Differential features full torque vectoring active technology with driver control of gain for balance adjustment. “Active stagger” removes the expensive necessity for staggered rear tire diameters for ovals
- Advanced computer modeling of structures, impact energy management, aerodynamics, vehicle dynamics and tires has been used to develop the virtual DeltaWing car
- The car’s performance has been simulated on each configuration of race track
- Modern advanced materials and CNC construction techniques applied to achieve gains in light weight structures and occupant safety
- Driver position, restraint layout and energy absorbency facility designed with the latest data on survival criteria
Honda Performance Development (HPD) has announced Honda CR-Z Hybrid Racer which will be displayed at this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours.
The CR-Z Racer has a total output of 200 horsepower and 237 horsepower which is not enough for a sports car. The standard cars are now coming with that much power. CR-Z Hybrid Coupe will also be driven by famous drivers on the track before the actual race starts.
In Europe, the CR-Z Racer is used as a pace car as part of Speed EuroSeries. Technical specifications of CR-Z Racer hybrid are given below:
- Production year: 2010
- Configuration: Combination IMA hybrid
- (Electric motor between the internal combustion engine and gearbox)
- Li-ion battery 7 kWh/173 volts
- Architecture: 4 cylinders in line, mounted transversely in front, FWD
- Displacement: 1,497 cm3
- Type: SOHC, 4 valves / cylinder; fuel Injection and turbocharger
- Transmission: 6 speed manual
- Power: 200 hp
- Max torque: 237 Nm
- Specific Power: 133 hp / litre
Finally we have to price of the eco-minded eAssist version 2012 Buick LaCrosse. The car is priced $29,960 plus $860 destination charges. So, in short, the money you would save on fuel (quite fuel efficient, does 37 MPG on highway), is taken in advance.
But the good news is, this car is not like other eco cars which are dull and slow. Interestingly, its quite lively with 303 horsepower (226 kW) and 264 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm) 3.6 liter V6.
The fuel economy boost that LaCrosse with eAssist offers comes from state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery system and electric motor-generator that enables regenerative braking capability.
2012 Buick LaCrosse eco version is well equipped with dual-zone climate control, has 17 inches alloy wheels, colored driver information panel, and last but not the least, blue tooth and USB connectivity. Buick IntelliLink is also in the pipeline which with Bluetooth or USB connects the driver’s smartphone to a new 8 inches high resolution, colored touch screen display radio.
“LaCrosse with eAssist is the smart choice for those who want great fuel economy without sacrificing the driving dynamics and passenger comfort that have made Buick the fastest-growing major automotive brand in the United States,” said Tony DiSalle, U.S. vice president of Buick Marketing.
There have been a lot of rumors about the dates for the 17th season of world’s favorite motor show. TopGear.com has official released the date for the show – June 26. The season seems to have six episode which is not enough in my opinion as the previous seasons had more than 10 episodes for each.
So, what will be there in season 17? A hot hatch race in Monaco, and electric car challenge, and TopGear’s try to enhance public transport. There will be other stuff as well but these are the main features.
Are you a fan of Mercedes SLS AMG? If yes, there is a good news for you. MEC Designed has announced an updated Mercedes SLS AMG bodykit which makes more customizations possible.
You can also order 2piece front spoiler and a very cool Formula rear diffuser. The diffuser (can be in carbon finish) comes with adoptor pipes making it possible to use it with both stock AMG exhuast or MEC’s system. The front spoiler can also be in carbon finer finish.
Following images show the difference between both versions: