Below guide will teach you How to Change Engine Oil and Filter. Please follow the instructions carefully.
Things You’ll Need:
- Floor Jack
- Combination Wrench Set
- Drain Pan
- Oil Filter Wrench
- Jack Stand Set
- Oil Filter
- DIY Costs: Est. $10.85 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $78.41 parts and labor
- Secure the vehicle on a flat surface and actuate the parking brake. Switch the engine on and let it run idle for some time so that the engine warms up.
- Prop the engine hood up and look for the engine oil fill cap.
- Take the engine oil fill cap away.
- Put a drain pan at the bottom of the drain plug. Unbolt the oil drain plug and let the oil drain out in the pan.
- Once the oil is completely drained out, fasten the oil drain plug back to its position. Use new gasket to provide essential tightness.
- Now, put a drain pan underneath the oil filter. Take an oil filter wrench and take the filter out of the vehicle. Remove the gasket also. Clean the mounting surface thoroughly to remove dirt, debris or other contaminants accumulated.
- Lubricate the new gasket with oil and position it properly on the new oil filter before installation. Fix the new oil filter along with new gasket.
- Take engine oil specified for your vehicle. You can take help from owner’s manual to know the recommended oil types. Add engine oil up to the required mark.
- Using engine oil dipstick, examine the level of the oil. Make sure that the oil level is more than the full mark.
- Put the engine oil fill cap back and switch on the engine. Leave the engine idle for few minutes.
- Switch the engine off and examine the oil level again with the engine oil dipstick.
- Make sure that you disposed off the dirty oil properly. You can take it to recycle center or any auto repair shop that can recycle it for you. Never spill the oil on ground or in drain hoses.
Tips & Warning
- Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while doing repair work on your vehicle. This protective clothing such as safety goggles, latex gloves, and closed toe shoes keep your safe from injuries.