Below guide will teach you How to Replace a Rear Bumper Cover. Please follow the instructions carefully.
Things You’ll Need:
- Bumper Cover
- Scraper Blade
- Trim Panel Removal Tool
- Spray Gun
- Spray Bottle
- Socket and Ratchet Set
- File Set
- Clip Remover
- 3/8 in. Drive Ratchet
- DIY Costs: Est. $515.19 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $1,161.27 parts and labor
Follow the instructions:
- First of all, you need to detach the bumper cover from the vehicle. You may require a door trim panel tool for clips or screwdriver for screws to get the cover separated from the vehicle.
- Always choose a bumper cover that is pre-primed because that primer is stronger against the corrosion and show more adhesive power. If you are repairing the old cover follow the steps.
- Take a clean cloth and wipe off all the dirt, dust and grease from the cover.
- First, use a basecoat of paint and then a thin coat of paint on the cover and leave it to dry.
- Once the paint is dry, look for any dirt or dust stuck in the paint.
- Use razor blade for large dust particles.
- Take a pray bottle filled with soapy water. Spray on the area where dust particles are stuck in the paint job.
- Take 1500 grit sandpaper soaked in soapy water and use it to sand the area in circular motion.
- Next, take the 2000 grit sandpaper and repeat the same process.
- After sanding the surface, take a solution of alcohol and water and wipe the surface with this solution.
- Apply compound polish to eliminate the swirl marks caused by sanding.
- Now your cover is ready and you can install it back on your vehicle by reversing the entire process.