There are often situation arises where one needs to replace the hood for one or another reason such as excessive wear and tear, dents, damage etc. Garages usually demand high amount for the replacement work. You can replace hood on your own with the help of some tools and skills. Following steps will help you in replacing hood at your home.
Things You’ll Need:
- Combination Wrench Set
- Socket and Ratchet Set
- 3/8 in. Drive Ratchet
- DIY Costs: Est. $785.90 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $1,189.69 parts and labor
- Park the car in well lit area. Apply parking brake.
- Lift the hood and secure it with hood prop.
- Take the washer tubing, emblem and hood insulator away.
- Now starting on one side, unfasten the bolts that hold the hood to the hood hinge. While doing so, ask your assistant to hold the hood. Similarly, unfasten the bolts on the other side. Take the hood away.
- Use the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the color code and paint the new hood accordingly.
- Once the paint is dry, install the new hood on your vehicle. Position it on its place with the help of assistant and secure it with bolts on each side. Keep the bolts loose a little at this stage.
- Put back the removed items such as emblem, washer tubing and hood insulator.
- Now, put the hood down and check for alignment. Adjust the bolts accordingly.
Tips & Warning
Use protective clothing, while working with your vehicle such as protective goggles, closed toe shoes, or latex gloves to avoid any injuries.